Located within the UK factory and working closely with the Manufacturing team, the Engineering team is responsible for the development and maintenance of products required by the UK sales function operating in the markets of Smoke Ventilation, Climate Control & Performance Louvre.
Responsible for developing new products, from sales/marketing requests, testing and evaluation, supporting the introduction into the factory through to the launch to the sales and operations teams. The Engineering team also takes the lead on updates to and maintenance of the existing product portfolio.
Compliance with the relevant national and international standards requires working closely with our centre of product development excellence in Kleve, Germany and external test bodies/committees. The remit is wide, dynamic and interesting – but then it would be as our customer continually strives to be the best.
- Develop concept design for new products based on Sales/Marketing requests.
- Carry out design evaluation & develop testing regimes to highlight best solution.
- Produce detail design drawings including specifications.
- Produce Design/Application & Maintenance manuals.
- Support new product introduction into the factory.
- Provide engineering support for product maintenance, updates and project specials.
|KEY RESULT AREA||KEY OBJECTIVES/OUTCOMES|
Design & Development
|· Concept generation: produce concepts that meet the design brief by exploring a range of solutions for the problem.
· Design Evaluation: select the optimum solution by considering structural calculations, material choice, manufacturing method, manufacturing cost, life cost, serviceability etc.
· Design verification: determine suitable test programmes to verify the product to ensure it is robust enough for its application in co-ordination with the Test and Quality Engineer.
|· Produce a comprehensive drawing pack to accurately document all parts and assemblies required for the product including items lists.
· Produce technical specifications to define the requirement for each component including material choice, finish, relevant standards, environmental issues etc.
· Liaise with manufacturing engineers to ensure that all CNC part programmes are complete and process are clear.
|· Support Manufacturing Manager and team leaders to ensure production first offs are successful and prove both the design and production processes.
· Ensure that all procurement data is complete and correct in liaison with the Procurement Manager.
· Conduct production first off testing, in coordination with laboratory staff, to ensure that these units meet the design criteria and performance specification.
· Co-ordinate all aspects of the product introduction including launch to sales, project management, installation teams and service engineers.
Technical support/Special Projects
|· Provide technical advice on product application to the sales and service teams.
· Develop special variants to meet specific client project requirements whilst ensuring the performance of the product is not compromised.
· Support the Engineering Manager to evaluate the most cost effective method of manufacture for special projects.
· Action Special Price Enquiries sent from the selling divisions to provide cost estimates for special products.
Quality & Procedures
|· Work within all companies procedures, and guidance to comply with working polices and processes.
· Ensure all work is logically and methodically filed.
· Ensure that all drawings, specifications and product data are up to date to support our ISO 9001 / 45001 registration.
· Consider the environmental impact of the product during its life in support of ISO 14001.
· Support the Engineering and Production managers with our BSI and VDS audits.
|· It is the duty of all employees to act within the legal responsibilities imposed upon them and the company QHSE Policy.
· All employees are to be familiar with the integrated management system processes and procedures of the Company.
|·Experienced in 3D solid modelling / design packages as part of product development process.||· AutoCAD Inventor 2014 Creation of product families.|
|· 3 years’ minimum in product development / industrial design role.||· Track record of product development for in the construction / building Services / HVAC industry.|
|· New Product Introduction within a manufacturing organisation.
|· Product testing, Airflow dynamics &
|· Lateral thinker and problem solver able to work with minimum supervision.||· Design / fabrication of light gauge ferrous and non-ferrous components.|
|· Structured, Organised and methodical in your approach to planning and executing work.||· Design of extruded aluminium products, seals, limits and fits.|
|· Excellent communicator, both formal and informal, across multi-disciplinary teams at all levels both internally and externally.||· Technical report writing, Instruction manuals, & O&M manuals.|
|· Use of Excel as part of the design / evaluation process.|
|· BSc / BEng in Product Development / Industrial Design
· MSc in Product Development
- Organised with an eye for detail and high standards.
- Ability to prioritise own workload, work without supervision and progress several tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent verbal, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, achieve deadlines, deliver results and get the job done.
- Drive and a strong will to win.
- Proactive, self-motivated and innovative.