A self-motivated manager with 10 years of commercial and military experience in management and leadership. Proven track record in conceptualising and managing projects, making tough contemplated decisions in high-pressured and often time constrained environments operating as both a member and a leader of effective and efficient teams. Skilled in both programme management and change management. Excels at using both his own experience and the experience of his team to devise innovative and effective solutions to problems.
• Programme Management – Experienced and comfortable managing multiple project teams in deeply complex contexts with large amounts of ambiguity.
• Leadership – Demonstrated ability to lead multi-disciplined, cross-functional teams in the pursuit of delivering excellence and improvement.
• Change Management – Success leading complex change in goal-orientated, complex environments and delivering results.
• Communication – Capable of influencing and inspiring subordinates, peers and seniors across business functions through both presentational and written work.
STRATEGY DEPLOYMENT AND EXECUTION LEAD – GSK 02/2018 –Present
Led on a global, multi-disciplined and cross-functional strategy programme to diversify and strengthen the supply chain of a £2.5bn product franchise, reducing risk and building resilience throughout the portfolio across 5 manufacturing sites in 4 different countries.
• Facilitated the translation of company global strategic intent into a workable plan to be executed by multiple on site local project teams.
• Managed a high level of complexity in validation, quality, supply chain and manufacturing across multiple sites and multiple business functions.
• Enabled 5 project managers to smoothly execute on their project responsibilities, removing the constraints and the ambiguity which prevented their progress.
• Delivered the successful transfer of new manufacturing capability to separate manufacturing plants in 4 countries, simultaneously without interrupting commercial production.
OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE LEAD – GSK 10/2016 – 02/2018
Improvement activity leader within the quality department of a pharmaceutical manufacturing site. Later moved to similar position in a manufacturing department. Identified opportunities for greater efficiency, productivity and output. Inspired and encouraged a stretched leadership team and workforce to look beyond their immediate workload, identify different ways of working and act upon opportunities for improvement to lower inventory and improve output.
• Improved output by 30% and productivity by 20% from performance the previous year through improvements to planning and performance management.
• Saved £250K of OPEX expenditure through the removal of unnecessary processes and introduction of improvements.
• Translated strategic site goals into identifiable outputs for all team members within department.
• Encouraged and reinvigorated an attitude of continuous improvement within department teams.
PROJECT MANAGER – DELOITTE 03/2015 – 09/2016
Project Manager for a number of large scale, complex projects. Coordinated cross-functional projects, designing and setting up new governance structures and controlling multiple work streams. Identified and delivered innovative solutions and improvements to under exploited areas for business development. Promoted for performance during period.
• Designed and setup multiple levels of programme management operations for a complex, cross-functional headcount and OPEX savings portfolio, intending to deliver £350m in savings.
• Facilitated project management for a multifaceted financial accounting project worth £1.5m in revenue. Assisted in expanding the programme scope, increasing the value of the project to £2m.
• Organised several critical stakeholders in the setup and management of an innovative intelligence tool to assist in the setup of new business with an existing financial services client.
• Coordinated the setup of a new cross-functional business proposition with a projected annual revenue worth £1m.
TRAINING AND OPERATIONS DIRECTOR, KABUL – BRITISH ARMY 01/2014 – 09/2014
Managed a team of local Afghan of operations managers. Key consultant to senior management for the delivery of continuous improvement to operations methods and output. Planned, supervised and delivered improvements for a team of 110 Afghan soldiers. Communicated regularly with executive level Afghans demanding diplomatic skill, strong powers of communication and experience in cultural sensitivity and patience.
• Mentored local managers in their professional conduct and leadership of their subordinates as well as ensuring the managers own personal development.
• Directed and assisted local managers in the design and implementation of training operations supervising coaching practices to instructors and recruits to achieve high levels of continued professional development.
• Negotiated and understood the diplomatic intricacies of working with a very different culture daily.
OPERATIONS OFFICER, 1st ROYAL TANK REGIMENT – BRITISH ARMY 08/2012 – 12/2013
Planned and delivered complex operations for 3 specialist teams in a department of 120 soldiers. Managed the department’s demanding operational calendar and was concurrently the deployable head of the department’s intelligence and information gathering team. Seconded to premium facility in Canada to assess and improve the operations of units separate to own organisation through targeted observation, consultancy and feedback.
• Conceptualised, re-designed and directed multiple large-scale operational campaigns involving complex resource management, tight timeframes and fixed budget constraints.
• Managed operations planning for 120 soldiers and £150m worth of equipment, achieving high levels of achievement and output.
TROOP COMMANDER, 2nd ROYAL TANK REGIMENT – BRITISH ARMY 04/2009 – 07/2012
Led, trained and managed a team of 45 front line soldiers both in the UK and on combat operations. Held additional positions including, executive liaison officer and intelligence officer. Facilitated and managed the operations of soldiers on multiple high complexity equipment platforms.
• Led and managed 45 soldiers in an extremely austere, demanding and strained combat environment in Afghanistan. Led assertive action resulting in a reduction in the level of insurgents able to operate in area of responsibility.
• Managed risk for both personnel and £60m of equipment, ensuring an acceptable level of risk to operational effectiveness balance.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
• Commissioned from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (2008 – 2009).
• Ancient History and Archaeology (Hons) Degree 2:1 from The University of Wales, Cardiff (2007).