Strategic security and risk management executive with a background of a successfully delivering to corporate and diplomatic clients in challenging environments. Has held key accountability within commercial, operational, bid management and P&L arenas. Also has demonstrated a strong experience in delivery of operational logistics management as well complex risk management, with responsibility up to country level.
SECURITY AND RISK MANAGER Libya May 18 – Current
Requested to move to Tripoli at short notice as the result of a Board level meeting to identify the best candidate. The role was to recover a strategically important, but drastically failing, security project with a major oil and gas client. The implications of failure would affect contracts globally with this significant client, impact to total annual revenue of $174m. Key responsibilities and successes are:
· Delivered an immediate positive impact from the first month, resulting in no contractual financial penalties for the first time in 6 months.
· Responsible for the security of over 100 client staff, both expatriate and Libyan nationals.
· Coordination of multiple security sub-contractors, with critical QA/QC on their performance.
· Responsible for training and mentoring local security sub-contractors to improve their standards.
· Successfully managed complex maritime and air evacuation of clients in September 2018 during rapidly deteriorating security situation.
· Managed the project from a position of failing through to the award of contract extension.
DEPUTY COUNTRY MANAGER/REGIONAL OPERATIONS MANAGER Iraq May 2013- May 2018
Recommended personally by Aegis Deputy Operations Director based on experience of performance within the Army. Direct management of 1300 multi-national employees based across Iraq providing security solutions to the Government of Iraq, the oil and gas sector, diplomatic, USG and other commercial clients. Responsible for the day to day operational management and strategic delivery of functional activities across the spectrum of Aegis/GardaWorld business. Major clients included, US DOD, Lockheed Martin (FMS), Brazilian Embassy, ENI, Halliburton, OilSERV, Baker Hughes, Weir, Weatherford, Saipem, Cameron, Petrofac and Basra Provincial Council. Combined contract values of $120m. Key responsibilities and successes were:
· Part of the in-country transition team after GardaWorld bought Aegis in 2015.
· Direct responsibility for 17 separate security projects across Iraq.
· Designed and implemented numerous Site Security Plans, including for multiple sites.
· Developed new clients and wrote several, successful, security contract proposals.
· Managed the complex process of compliance to ensure the company operated legally and without interruption, this included preparing and submitting the company annual Operating Licence application pack.
· Ensured consistent delivery of SLAs by liaising between Project Managers and clients, developing relationships with global corporate representatives, Regional Government Departments and Local Councils.
ASIA – CES (COMPLETE ENERGY SOLUTIONS)
OPERATIONS DIRECTOR UK (with travel) Aug 2010 – Apr 2013
Recruited to manage the purchase, and onward transit, of military grade fuel from Russian oil refineries to Afghanistan (for ISAF). This involved bulk rail movement across multiple borders, a distance of over 4000 km to the point of delivery. Managed a multinational staff based from Russia, across Central Asia and into Afghanistan to ensure success. Consistently exceeded the annual revenue target of $5M. Key responsibilities and successes were:
· Organised, scheduled and synchronised complex transportation by liaising with external agencies and freight providers.
· Obtaining requisite licences in multiple countries from Russia and Central Asia, involving liaison at local and national government level.
· Managed rail network delays by planning for contingencies and liaising with rail companies.
· Supporting business development/retention by forging relationships with potential/existing clients and suppliers.
LOGISTICS AND HUMAN RESOURCES UK Oct 2007 – Aug 2010
Utilised specific experience gained in the British Army to consult for companies operating in the UK Defence sector. This included filling a key role at very short notice for Agility (DGS) within their small bid team for a Ministry of Defence contract worth £100M+, which was successfully won. I also undertook an HR consultancy role for SCS Ltd back within the Army HQ which required a review of 1200 Civil Service posts to identify savings of 20%. Despite timeline constraints the target was successfully achieved by working closely with all the required departments and agencies.
BRITISH ARMY UK and Overseas Oct 1987 – Oct 2007
20 year career as an Officer in the British Army where I specialised in expeditionary logistics with multiple tours in Airborne Forces. Promoted to Major after 12 years, I held strategic planning and HR roles in very busy and dynamic headquarters such as the Joint Helicopter Command. I also deployed as a Company Commander (Major) in an operational war fighting role to Iraq in 2003. My earlier military career saw me hold the position of senior Captain (Adjutant) in an Airborne logistics unit. In addition to overseas training and deployments I have also served on active operations in first Gulf War (1990/91), Rwanda (1994) and Kosovo (1999).
· 2018: Master’s Degree (Merit) in Terrorism & Security, Salford University.
· 2017: Level 3 Award in Close Protection.
· 2016: Level 3 Award in Conflict Management.
· 2016: Level 3 Award in Education + Training.
· 2014: Port Facility Security Officer Course.
· 1995: Intermediate Command and Staff Course (command and leadership training).
· 1988: Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (officer training).
PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENTS & INTERESTS
· Represented Team GB in Telemark Skiing at World Championships and World Cup, 2007/08.
· Qualified Telemark Ski Instructor, British Association of Snowsports Instructors.
· Member of Institute of Advanced Motorists.